After much consideration, listening to both sides, the wonderland household has decided to vaccinate. Now the decision has been made I feel better.
I have talked with friends who went through this months ago in NZ. At least one of them was vaccinated. I cannot confirm if all five were. They did not have side effects and costed rather smoothly through it, but that may have been because one is a bit of an agoraphobe When germs are around 🙂
I have read articles and watched and listened to reports. All which are biased either way. I’m not sure it helped. May have just brought my anxiety about it up. But this is what I do know:
1. Yes there is Hg in the vaccine ethyl not methyl (big difference). I would prefer if there wasn’t any, but no Minamata here.
2. That it is a “fairly new” vaccine, but they are using the same methods for previous vaccines that I have had.
3. You cannot get the flu from a dead virus. If you get the flu after getting the shot, you were probably exposed to it days before or with in the two week period before full immunity is reached. In Canada we’re recieving the dead virus.
4. There is adjuvant in the vaccine to boost its efficacy and make it go further so more can get the vaccination if they want too.
5. The risk for my children having a bad side effect from the vaccine are lower than the risk of them getting the flu.
6. We are in the vulnerable group
7. People who are not vaccinated and get the flu and have an “easy” time of it, can pass the flu on to others who cannot be vaccinated. I don’t want that on my conscience.
8. I still believe that washing hands, eating right and exercise are the best way to stay healthy and prevent transmission of disease, but have you seen the nation lately. I will do my best but I cannot trust that others are.
Now I post these reasons just to explain why we are vaccinating and not to change anyones mind. I understand the struggle to decide. We all love our families and wants what is best for them. You do what you gotta do and I will do what I gotta do and hopefully neither of us will suffer.