This last month I have experienced or have been bombarded (bomb-bard, get it? Bard, being a musician, ok not so funny) by Christmas songs. I think I have heard 6 different versions of “Santa Baby” including one orchestral version. Who knew? After weeding through the junk (because everybody and their dog does a Christmas album) here are my Top 5 Christmas Songs for 2005:
5. “White Christmas” Bing Crosby. A classic and since we didn’t get one, I was dreaming of a white Christmas
4. “Baby it’s Cold Outside” The Elf version. I’m particular about the version as the Simpson Lachey version is lacking. He holds his own but here voice is too wispy. Its a jazzy song it needs a clear voice.
3. “Little Town” Cliff Richard. Amy Grant did this song too, but I like his version better.
2. “Breath of Heaven” Amy Grant
1. “O Holy Night” Lee Greenwood. Not everyone can do O holy night but this country bumpkin can.
I’d like to give an honorable mention to “What Child is this?”, and “Last Christmas” by Wham. What can I say I’m a child of the 80’s